Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I THINK A RAT OR SQUIRL CHEWED ON MY PLASTIC SHOWER DRAIN PIPES. WHAT CAN I DO?

I TOOK A SHOWER LAST NIGHT AND AFTER HEARD A NOISE UNDER THE TUB. I LOOKED IN THE ACCESS PANEL FOR THE SHOWER PIPES BEHIND THE WALL AND THE PLASTIC PIPE THAT TAKES THE DIRTY WATER AWAY WAS SCRATCED UP AND IF I RUN WATER IT WILL LEAK INTO MY CRAWLSPACE. PLEASE HELP!I THINK A RAT OR SQUIRL CHEWED ON MY PLASTIC SHOWER DRAIN PIPES. WHAT CAN I DO?
Well, I guess there's a first time for everything. I've never heard of animals of any sort chewing on plastic pipes. Usually they chew either to get through something to get out or in, or because the item has food odor or traces of food on it. They generally don't chew on stuff just because it's there and available. However, if there's a hole in the pipe, you can purchase one of those rubber connectors, called Fernco connectors. They have a stainless steel hose clamp on each end and are made of a substantial rubber material. Slice it length ways from top to bottom and slide it around the pipe at the spot of the hole, then open the clamps by unscrewing the end and slide it back into it's spot on the rubber. Clamp it down and it should stop the leak.I THINK A RAT OR SQUIRL CHEWED ON MY PLASTIC SHOWER DRAIN PIPES. WHAT CAN I DO?
If you want to do it yourself, your best bet to catch the rat or squirrell is to use a sticky trap, (Though if you want it to be humane, you might want to look into live traps). You can also use bait blocks. There are many different kinds that work. After that, if you're any good at replacing pipes you could, but you might want to call in a professional. If you can't catch the animal, you might just want to call a professional. Don't worry, problems like these are easily fixed. I've had to take care of it myself once.
are you sure it wasn't just frozen and burst from that?
Call an exterminator first then a plumber

No comments:

Post a Comment